Congo Basin Campaigner, Forest Campaign
CONGO BASIN CAMPAIGNER, FOREST CAMPAIGN
The Environmental Investigation Agency, Inc. a 501(c)(3) non-profit advocacy organization based in Washington DC, is seeking to hire a motivated, organized and committed campaigner to support EIA’s Forest Campaign work in the Congo Basin. The forest campaign aims to halt illegal logging, illegal deforestation, and related crimes, triggering changes to support law enforcement, greater transparency, and improved governance. EIA uses primary evidence obtained from in-depth research of illegal timber trade flows to push for systemic policy shifts to stem the demand and funding for these illegal activities. Reporting directly to the Africa Program Coordinator, the campaigner will work in close coordination with the members of the Forest Team.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
In close collaboration with the Africa Program Coordinator and the Forest team, the Congo Basin Campaigner will be leading the development and implementation of innovative strategies to halt illegal logging and forest destruction, and improve forest governance in the Congo Basin.
Conduct analyses of forest, land and agricultural policy and design of policy reform strategies with civil society organizations in the region(s).
Collaborate closely with partners in the region, in government, private sector, and civil society organizations, to implement the EIA’s campaigns in the region.
Coordinate and help produce and publish investigative reports, briefings, press releases, blog posts, etc. related to the region.
Conduct trainings in investigation and audio-visual techniques to monitor and report forest crimes and other social or environmental abuses.
Organize meetings and maintaining communications with key stakeholders in the private sector, government and academia.
Essential Expertise and Qualifications
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in advocacy and campaigns at the national or international level in the Congo-Basin Region.
- Background or experience in environmental policy, business, finance, economics, supply chain management, procurement and/or international trade policy in Africa.
- Strong demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, in particular a collaborative and cooperative approach to work, as well as an ability to network and to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people, across a variety of settings.
- High level of autonomy.
- Maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Close attention to detail.
- Fluency in English and French is strongly desired for this position.
- Experience working with journalists and media to advance international campaign objectives.
- Experience with database, trade network analysis, or other relevant analytical software programs.
- Prior working experience or knowledge of the forest sector, timber supply chains, and/or agricultural commodities.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. This position is based in the Congo Basin.
All interested applicants are invited to submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter describing relevant experience and interest to email@example.com with the subject line “Congo Basin Campaigner” by January 11, 2019.
Due to the large volume of applicants, we are not able to answer emails or phone calls. Thank you for your understanding.