Data Software Engineer/Developer
The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA), a 501(c)(3) non-profit advocacy organization based in Washington DC, is seeking a motivated, organized and committed Data Software Engineer to join one of the most dynamic advocacy teams in Washington, DC today. This new position will complement our data & technology team to deepen our usage of big data in support of our core mission: protecting the environment with intelligence. This new position is pivotal to the expansion of how we use technology – to gather, collect, mine, and process raw data to turn it into actionable intelligence, and to create and implement innovative technical solutions to solve complex global environmental problems. EIA has a 30-year record of successfully changing the rules of the global trading system by combining our unique investigations with hard-hitting campaigns to enact historic new policies and legislation. Join our dynamic team that makes up the most influential environmental NGO leveraging intelligence and investigations to safeguard the world’s natural resources.
Main Activities and Responsibilities:
- Implement robust software systems that collect, process, manage, and serve data based around the right tool-set and languages as driven by the job at hand;
- Expand on our current data acquisition systems to capture a broader data set feeding into our daily operations;
- Find novel uses for our existing data and operationalize them;
- Collaborate actively within our team of highly experienced environmental campaigners and with our global partners to collect, process, and expand access to data-based intelligence;
- Develop and manage databases on a variety of RDBMS’s, such as PostgreSQL and MariaDB, using industry and security best-practices;
- Collaborate on a technical level with our international partners, including training;
- Be part of a transformative period where the organization is expanding our reliance on data & technology, and integrating this deeply into our day-to-day operations.
- At least 3 years experience developing (big) data-based applications on Linux in a professional setting using professional tools, processes, and methodologies;
- An intense passion for applying technology to change the world for the better;
- Strong experience both interacting with (DML), and designing (DDL) relational database systems, such as PostgreSQL or MariaDB; experience with NoSQL (such as MongoDB), Graph databases, or blockchain gets you extra points;
- Strong experience developing secure software in and for a Linux environment;
- Fluency in Python3 plus at least 2 additional and relevant programming languages;
- An ability to think broader than just the task-at-hand and consider long-term benefits/drawbacks;
- A solid ability to pick up new technologies.
- Experience normalizing and denormalizing relational data;
- Experience building scalable REST-based services & front-ends, which adhere to open standards;
- Good understanding of design patterns and their (in-)applicability to different problem spaces;
- Experience implementing automated testing for data-intensive software systems;
- Experience with containerization technologies (i.e. docker);
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Azure, ...) and related technologies (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, Salt, CI/CD, k8s/Kubernetes, ...);
- World-class StackOverflow and search engine skills.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Send a cover letter and your resume/curriculum vitae with subject line: “Data Software Engineer” to email@example.com. If you have source code repositories you’d like us to be aware of, feel free to include links in your application as well, we’d love to take a look!
Due to the large volume of applicants, we are not able to answer emails or phone calls. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding. This is an immediate position and applicants must be currently legally authorized to work full time at EIA, a U.S. non-profit and be able to provide proof of same.
EIA is an equal employment opportunity committed to workforce diversity. All Employment at EIA are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications and business need.