The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) is a 501(c)(3) independent, international, non-profit advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C., with proven records of triggering and affecting systematic change to protect the Earth’s environment. Over the last three decades, EIA has established a unique paradigm of methods – including pioneering the use of undercover investigative techniques to expose environmental crimes and drive change. These crimes include illegal trade in endangered wildlife, illegal logging and associated trade in illegal timber, and the trade in both climate damaging and ozone layer depleting gases.
EIA is seeking a Communications Assistant to join one of the most dynamic advocacy teams in Washington, D.C. to help us further the organization's campaign goals. This is a Full-time position, but options for interim part-time arrangements would be considered.
EIA is looking for an energetic and versatile Communications Assistant to join our team of environmental campaigners to help navigate and lead the best strategy for growth through digital platforms.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
- As part of the Communications team, assist in developing social media content, publications, graphics and other communication strategies and tools for EIA as an organization, individual campaigns, and the Origin App.
- Work closely with Campaigners across the Climate, Forest, Wildlife campaigns, and the Origin App.
- Create original content in the form of graphics and text for website and social media publishing under supervision of the Communications team.
- Assist in managing the content for various websites maintained by EIA
- Assist in the transition of EIA’s website to a new platform.
- Assist to distribute content across multiple platforms, including but not limited to Instagram and Twitter, designed to attract and drive user acquisition and build audience engagement.
- Create, implement, and manage social media calendar filled with content launches and opportunities for engagement.
- Stay abreast of the latest social media technologies, tools, and features; help identify best practices and areas for growth.
- Monitor social media engagement across all platforms and direct questions or concerns to appropriate staff member.
- Assist in monitoring analytics tools to provide valuable page performance insights for internal teams; and support teams to better understand and respond to audience trends.
- Help train and coach staff on digital organizing tools and tactics, as needed.
- Assist in maintaining up-to-date list of outside press and gather analytics related to press impact and reach.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Essential Expertise and Qualifications
- 1-2 years of demonstrated experience as a communications/social media assistant, or similar role, ideally with an environmental or social impact campaign or organization.
- Four-year degree in a relevant field
- Working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
- Familiarity with Wordpress and/or Squarespace and basic understanding of HTML.
- Familiarity with using social media for organizations, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Medium
- Knowledge and interest in emerging digital media trends and movements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to collaborate and work well in a team.
- Strong virtual relationship-building skills.
- Self-motivated with an ability to juggle multiple priorities, handle assignments independently, and work under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, including proactively identifying problems and working with team members to develop solutions.
- Ability to think creatively and provide innovative ideas and solutions
- Good work ethic, high standards, strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment essential.
Other Desirable Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience and/or significant interest related to environmental justice, conservation, or policy; sustainable supply chains; or relevant fields and issue areas
- Experience or knowledge working with diverse audience groups, ideally in a digital environment
- Experience with video and audio editing software is a plus
- Foreign language skills, particularly Spanish, Chinese and/or French
- Understanding of SEO and web traffic metrics and analytic tools.
Commitment to Inclusion, Racial Justice and Anti-oppression:
EIA strives to integrate values of equity, fairness, inclusiveness, transparency, and accountability into our work, which includes reflecting our commitment to racial justice in our programmatic work and our organizational structure and values. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create an inclusive work environment and world.
EIA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. All employment at EIA is decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs.
Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter with resume/curriculum vitae with subject line “Communications Assistant” to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Due to the large volume of applicants, we are not able to answer emails or phone calls.
This position is available immediately. Applicants must be currently legally authorized to work full time at EIA, a U.S. non-profit, and be able to provide proof of same.
Closing Date for applications: September 24, 2021.