- Groups urge Forest Stewardship Council to cut ties with Austrian timber giant
Groups urge Forest Stewardship Council to cut ties with Austrian timber giant
- Depot Deception: New EIA video documents systematic timber laundering by Schweighofer suppliers
The latest in EIA's video series The 'S' Files reveals the severity and scale of Holzindustrie Schweighofer's trade in illegal wood.
- United States and Canada Take Historic Steps to Protect the Arctic Ocean
Joint Statement bans drilling in most of the U.S. and Canadian Arctic, and commits to phasing out use of heavy fuel oil by ships in the Arctic
- Romania creates revolutionary public access in new online wood tracking system
Romania’s Ministry of the Environment hasreleased a new website allowing real-time tracking of all timber transports across the country.
- Stolen Wood, Certified: FSC allows certification to continue, despite illegalities
Despite finding timber giant awash in stolen wood, FSC allows certification to continue
- The Un-Natural Parks: New EIA Video Exposes Illegal and Unsustainable Origins of Schweighofer’s Timber
The Un-Natural Parks: New EIA Video Exposes Illegal and Unsustainable Origins of Schweighofer’s Timber
The second in a series of videos, EIA exposes continued illegal sourcing practices by Holzindustrie Schweighofer
- The Ghost Trucks: Schweighofer’s continued sourcing of illegal timber exposed in new EIA video
A new EIA investigation reveals that Austrian timber company Holzindustrie Schweighofer is still receiving illegal wood to its Romanian sawmills.
- Peru Announces Improved Measures to Stop Illegal Timber Trade
The Peruvian government committed to significantly improve measures to stop illegal logging and associated trade in its timber sector.
- MEPC 70: IMO Moves Towards Arctic Phase Out of World’s Dirtiest Fuel
EIA welcomed the progress made by member countries towards a phase out of the use of heavy fuel oil (HFO) by vessels operating in the Arctic.
- Palm Oil Plantation in Cameroon: An Opportunity to Stop “The Wrong Project in the Wrong Place”
EIA has released a short documentary film on local communities in Southwest Cameroon ahead of a critical decision by the Cameroonian government.
- Plantation de palmiers à huile au Cameroun : une opportunité pour mettre fin « au mauvais projet au mauvais endroit »
Plantation de palmiers à huile au Cameroun : une opportunité pour mettre fin « au mauvais projet au mauvais endroit »
En prévision de la décision cruciale que va prendre le Gouvernement du Cameroun concernant le renouvellement...
- Historic Agreement Reached on Global Deal to Cut HFCs, Super Pollutant Greenhouse Gases
Parties to the Montreal Protocol are expected to adopt an historic global agreement mandating controls on hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) consumption and production...
- India Acts on HFC-23 Super Pollutant as Montreal Protocol Negotiations Enter Critical Phase
India has announced its chemical industry, with immediate effect, must collect and destroy emissions of its most potent greenhouse gas, HFC-23.
- New CITES Regulations to Combat Multi-Billion Dollar Illegal Trade of Precious Woods
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) adopted new regulations that will subject approximately 80 percent of the multi-billion dollar global trade in precious rosewoods to stricter regulation...
- EIA Commends Romania for Protecting Europe’s Remaining Large Carnivores
Yesterday, Romania’s Minister of Environment, Water, and Forests (MMAP) Cristiana Pașca Palmer announced a decision to ban trophy hunting of brown bears, grey wolves, lynx, and wild cats...
- Environmentalists call on Japan to close domestic ivory market
The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) is calling on Japan to close its domestic ivory market because it contributes to illegal trade and the poaching of Africa’s elephants. EIA’s appeal comes on the heels...
- Exposed: The Dirty Secrets of Japan’s Illegal Ivory Trade
New evidence of Japan’s failure to control illegal ivory trading at a time when Africa’s elephants face extinction is revealed in a damning report released today...
- EPA Finalizes Rules on HFCs Ahead of Pivotal Montreal Protocol Meetings, EIA Comments
Yesterday the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) finalized two rulemakings curbing emissions of hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), potent greenhouse gases used in refrigeration, air conditioning and foams, among other uses...
- In South Africa, a chance to stop the illegal forest plunder for precious woods
As the 17th Conference of the Parties (CoP17) to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) begins in South Africa, EIA has released new analysis revealing the nature and scale...
- New Report on Fast Food Industry in India Calls on Multinationals to Limit Greenhouse Gas Emissions
A new report released today by the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) studies few of the fastest growing multinational fast food chains in India, which are some of the country’s largest...
- Conservationists Applaud Bipartisan House Letter Calling on Japan to Ban Ivory Trade
The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) today applauded Congressmen Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) and Daniel Donovan (R-NY) for sending a letter signed by a bipartisan group of 16 members...
- U.S. Government Report Confirms Imports of Illegal Timber from Peru
In a report released yesterday by the U.S. government, Peruvian timber imported to the United States in January 2015 has been identified as largely illegally sourced, offering the latest example of illicit timber trafficking from Peru to the United States. The U.S. Timber Committee’s summary highlights...
- Montreal Protocol on track to reach 2016 HFC Amendment
Parties to the Montreal Protocol made significant progress on agreeing to phase down hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) in a series of back-to-back meetings in Vienna this week, raising expectations that a global...
- Poligrow Colombia Ltda., Ordered to Suspend Operations due to Presumed Environmental Infractions
Colombian environmental authority, CORMACARENA (Corporación para el Desarrollo Sostenible del Área de Manejo Especial la Macarena), has ordered oil palm company Poligrow Colombia Ltda...
- Illegally deforested Amazon land for sale by oil palm plantation operators in Peru
Maps published today confirm that land transferred by two oil palm plantations to a Peruvian trust services company, which is now auctioning off these properties, is located in illegally deforested Amazon rainforest. EIA mapped...