- Behind The Scenes: How Log Yards Hide the Destruction of Europe's Ancient Forests
Behind the Scenes takes detailed look at how the Austrian timber giant Holzindustrie Schweighofer, one of the largest wood processors in Romania, continues to fuel the destruction of Europe’s last old growth forests, in spite of five years of pledges not to source timber from national parks or protected areas.
- Blowing It: Illegal Production and Use of Banned CFC-11 in China's Foam Blowing Industry
Information obtained by the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) demonstrates conclusively that the use of CFC-11 in China’s rigid polyurethane (PU) foam insulation sector, in particular in the building and construction subsector, is widespread and pervasive.
- Taking Marine Mammals Incidental to Alaska Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Project in Cook Inlet
EIA letter to NOAA regarding proposed LNG Project in Cook Inlet
- EIA opposes Trump administration plan for new oil leases in beluga habitat
Today EIA filed a comment in opposition to the unprecedented plan by the administration to open 98 percent of the American outer continental shelf to oil and natural gas activity.
- Destino China: resumen complementario al informe Momento de la Verdad
El reciente informe de EIA, El Momento de la Verdad mostró que la ilegalidad y el fraude son generalizados en todo el sector maderero peruano, y que una gran parte de la madera talada ilegalmente se exporta a decenas de países. En “Destino China: resumen complementario al informe Momento de la Verdad”, EIA parte de los mismos datos y análisis para destacar el mayor mercado de destino para las exportaciones de madera ilegal de Perú: China.
- Moment of Truth: Promise or Peril for the Amazon as Peru Confronts its Illegal Timber Trade
EIA’s new report describes important advances since 2012 in Peru’s fight against illegal logging, timber laundering, and its associated international trade – as well as the backlash against these new approaches.
- El Momento de la Verdad: Oportunidad o Amenaza para la Amazonía Peruana en la Lucha contra el Comercio de la Madera Ilegal
El Momento de la Verdad: Oportunidad o Amenaza para la Amazonía Peruana en la Lucha contra el Comercio de la Madera Ilegal
El nuevo informe de EIA describe avances importantes desde el año 2012 en lo que respecta a la lucha contra la tala ilegal en el Perú, el lavado de madera y el comercio internacional de esta madera ilegal – así como también los retrocesos con respecto a estos nuevos enfoques.
- Destination China: a companion briefing to Moment of Truth
EIA’s recent report, Moment of Truth, showed that illegality and fraud is pervasive throughout the Peruvian timber sector, and that a great deal of the illegally harvested and traded wood is exported to dozens of countries. In “Destination China: a Companion Briefing to Moment of Truth,” EIA draws on the same data and analysis to highlight the largest destination market for Peru’s illegal timber exports: China.
- Illegal Logging in Rodna Mountains National Park, Northern Romania, October 2017
EIA Investigators found clear cases of illegal logging, linked to the Austrian Timber company Holzindustrie Schweighofer, in Romania's Rodna Mountains National Park
- JAPAN’S ILLEGAL IVORY TRADE: Briefing Document for Delegates to CITES Standing Committee 69
EIA's recommendations to the Standing Committee with regard to CITES Resolution Conf. 10.10 and Japan's ivory trade
- "Open Door" to Traffickers - An EIA/AVG briefing about Malagasy rosewoods, ebonies and palisanders for CITES SC69
"Open Door" to Traffickers - An EIA/AVG briefing about Malagasy rosewoods, ebonies and palisanders for CITES SC69
EIA/AVG concur with Madagascar that “much remains to be done” in the implementation of the CITES action plan on Malagasy ebonies (Diospyros spp.), palisanders and rosewoods (Dalbergia spp.).
- EIA's 2016 Annual Report
On April 2nd, 2014, Sri Lankan customs officials announced the seizure of 420 metric tons (3,669 logs) of rosewood.
- Smarter Standards: Vital for Kigali Amendment Success
This report provides updates on the work of key standards bodies relevant to the cooling sector and outlines the climate imperative of modernizing standards for successful implementation of the Kigali Amendment and the ongoing HCFC phase-out.
- The Rosewood Racket
The results of a two-year investigation by EIA, The Rosewood Racket details the journey of illegal African rosewood, also known as “kosso,” from the remote forests of Nigeria beset by illegal logging to luxury furniture boutiques in China, despite protections placed on this threatened tree species by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
- Transitioning HFCs in India: Why Multinationals Must Support India's Kigali Amendment Goals
In 2016, EIA released Transitioning HFCs in India, a report estimating the growing contributions of multinational fast food and beverage companies to hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) emissions in India.
- Building a Strong Foundation for Continued Success
With the ink barely dry on the Kigali Amendment and ratification under way, the real work now begins...
- Charting the Future for Cetaceans and Polar Shipping
A new briefing prepared for the MEPC71
- EIA Comments at California Air Resources Board
- Letter To FSC Board of Directors regarding Holzindustrie Schweighofer
EIA has written a letter To the FSC Board of Directors regarding Holzindustrie Schweighofer
- FSC Policy for Association complaint - WWF Germany vs. Holzindustrie Schweighofer
A report published by the FSC complaint panel. WWF Germany vs. Holzindustrie Schweighofer
- Forest Liquidators & Timber Smugglers: The Full Story
EIA summarizes the federal case against Lumber Liquidators for violating the U.S. Lacey Act.
- EIA Briefing to the UNFCCC COP22
- Traditional Chiefs Call for an End to Oil Palm Project on Their Lands
The SGSOC oil palm project has disrupted the livelihoods of many communities in Southwest Cameroon. Village leaders have written to the president, calling for a stop to the project...