China - Climate
Campaign Focus Areas
- China Proposes Stronger Steps to Protect our Climate and Ozone
Today, China proposed a new national plan to tackle hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), potent greenhouse gases used primarily in cooling.
- China Olympics Sets New Record for Climate-friendly Cooling
New world records will surely be set when Beijing hosts the next Winter Olympics in 2022, but these games are already making history for a different reason. It will be the first time that carbon dioxide (CO2) is used as a climate-friendly refrigerant to create the cooling in several ice rink venues for the Olympic Games.
- New Environmental Mystery: HFC-23 Super Pollutant Emissions Continue Despite Montreal Protocol Controls
New Environmental Mystery: HFC-23 Super Pollutant Emissions Continue Despite Montreal Protocol Controls
A new paper in Nature Communications finds that, based on atmospheric data, emissions of one of the most potent greenhouse gases on the planet, HFC-23 are higher than at any point in history. Meanwhile, emissions reported of the same substance are at the lowest in the past 17 years. The study estimates that an additional ~309 Tg CO2-equivalent emissions (greater than 300 million tons) were added to the atmosphere between 2015 and 2017.
- EIA 2018 Impact Report
In 2018 the Environmental Investigation Agency continued to confront the greatest environmental threats facing the world today. The EIA team pursued, documented and exposed the activities of syndicates that threaten endangered species, damage the climate and ozone layer, and drive the trade in timber stolen from the world’s most important remaining forests.
- New Atmospheric Study Pinpoints Large-scale CFC-11 Emissions in Eastern China
New Atmospheric Study Pinpoints Large-scale CFC-11 Emissions in Eastern China
- Tip of the Iceberg: Implications of Illegal CFC Production and Use
Just six months after scientists revealed unexpected and high emissions of CFC-11, much has been done to address this enormous environmental crime. China has responded with an unprecedented nationwide enforcement action and has shut down at least one illegal CFC-11 production factory. The Parties to the Montreal Protocol unanimously responded at OEWG-40 to the crisis and will agree vital next steps at the 30th Meeting of the Parties in Quito, Ecuador.
- EIA reflects on 10 years of HFC campaigning following Kigali Amendment
Following successful negotiations to the Montreal Protocol, EIA reflects on ten years of calling for a phase out of HFC gases.
- Historic Agreement Reached on Global Deal to Cut HFCs, Super Pollutant Greenhouse Gases
Parties to the Montreal Protocol are expected to adopt an historic global agreement mandating controls on hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) consumption and production...
- The Importance of Ambition in the 2016 HFC Phase-Down Agreement
Following the adoption of the Dubai Pathway on HFCs, Parties to the Montreal Protocol are set to negotiate and adopt an HFC amendment in 2016, the first major...
- China’s Actions to Promote Low-GWP Alternatives: The 27th China Refrigeration Exhibition
In its 13th Five-Year Plan for National Economic and Social Development, China announced to the world that green development will be high on its agenda for the next five years. The “green” concept was prominently discussed in the economic and social development section of the five-year plan...