Campaign Focus Areas
EIA uses primary evidence obtained from in-depth research of illegal timber trade flows to push for systemic policy shifts to stem the demand and funding for these illegal activities. Reporting directly to the Africa Program Coordinator, the campaigner will work in close coordination with the members of the Forest Team.
- “War on Timber” in Gabon: It Is Time to Win It
- Traditional Chiefs Call for an End to Oil Palm Project on Their Lands
The SGSOC oil palm project has disrupted the livelihoods of many communities in Southwest Cameroon. Village leaders have written to the president, calling for a stop to the project...
- The Wrong Project in the Wrong Place
This EIA short documentary film presents interviews with members of local communities in the Southwest region of Cameroon about the negative impacts felt by a controversial oil palm project. The project, owned by Sithe Global Sustainable Oil Cameroon (SGSOC), has not only dispossessed community members of their land, but also threatened biodiversity hotspots and failed to meet development promises.
- Palm Oil Plantation in Cameroon: An Opportunity to Stop “The Wrong Project in the Wrong Place”
EIA has released a short documentary film on local communities in Southwest Cameroon ahead of a critical decision by the Cameroonian government.
- Plantation de palmiers à huile au Cameroun : une opportunité pour mettre fin « au mauvais projet au mauvais endroit »
Plantation de palmiers à huile au Cameroun : une opportunité pour mettre fin « au mauvais projet au mauvais endroit »
En prévision de la décision cruciale que va prendre le Gouvernement du Cameroun concernant le renouvellement...
- EIA Preview of Sierra Club ‘Illegal Logging in the Congo Basin’ Lecture Series
Beginning September 14, EIA’s partner, the Sierra Club, will be hosting a series of presentations across the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. (see full list of locations here) to discuss illegal logging in the Congo Basin and how the United States...
- EIA Leads Discussions on Illegal Commodity-Driven Forest Conversion in Congo Basin
This past June, more than 600 stakeholders met in Yaoundé, Cameroon as part of the 15th Meeting of Parties of the Congo Basin Forest Partnership (CBFP). The CBFP is a multi-stakeholder partnership that was launched in 2002 during the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, South Africa by former U.S. Secretary...
- Palm Oil Development in the Congo Basin
- EIA Hosts Workshop as Palm Oil Development Increases
Last week, EIA organized an unprecedented regional workshop for Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), local communities, and Indigenous people groups in the Congo Basin to address the emerging threat...