Campaign Focus Areas
- 100,000+ Consumers Say Walmart Should Not Put Off Curbing Climate-Harming Refrigerants for 20 Years
New Announcement Waiting Until 2040 to Phase Out HFCs Leaves Walmart Way Behind Competitors – Including Aldi, Target, and Whole Foods – Who Already Have Taken Action
- Unlocking Kigali Amendment Climate Benefits
- Finding the Promise in Compromise: EIA Proposal to Jumpstart California HFC Reclaim
Last week EIA participated in California’s Air Resources Board (ARB) 6th workshop on proposed regulations to reduce emissions of super pollutant hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) used in cooling. The state’s rigorous process for proposing new regulations on HFC refrigerants has been ongoing for several years now and is in the final stretch. Opportunities for stakeholder engagement have been abundant and ARB has invited input from industry along the way. They even aligned with an industry proposed 2023 deadline for transitioning new air conditioning equipment to refrigerants with a global warming potential (GWP) less than 750.
- Unchartered Territory: Funding Climate Action During a Pandemic
This week, Parties to the Montreal Protocol, renowned as the world’s most successful environmental treaty came together remotely for their annual intersessional meeting, known as the Open-ended Working Group (OEWG). The Montreal Protocol has a vital role to play in addressing climate change, as it becomes increasingly clear that we are currently not on the pathway to limit global temperature rise to below 1.5 °C.
- EIA Comments to OEWG-42
- World Refrigeration Day 2020
- Climate-friendly Supermarket Scorecard
- Join Us in Thanking HFC-free Supermarkets and Calling for Climate Action
We’re teaming up with our friends at Green America to thank the supermarkets that are acting on the climate crisis, at a time when supermarkets have been on the frontlines of the COVID-19 health crisis and their brave workers are providing critical services.
- China Proposes Stronger Steps to Protect our Climate and Ozone
Today, China proposed a new national plan to tackle hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), potent greenhouse gases used primarily in cooling.
- China Olympics Sets New Record for Climate-friendly Cooling
New world records will surely be set when Beijing hosts the next Winter Olympics in 2022, but these games are already making history for a different reason. It will be the first time that carbon dioxide (CO2) is used as a climate-friendly refrigerant to create the cooling in several ice rink venues for the Olympic Games.