Japan - Forests
Campaign Focus Areas
- 東欧から日本への木材調達に 新しい法的リスク
- Leaked EU-Japan Trade Agreement Would Increase Illegal Logging
Leaked documents from a trade agreement between the European Union and Japan show weak environmental standards.
- PEFC: A Fig Leaf for Stolen Timber
- 偽上の住宅: 日本の新築住宅の犠牲になる欧州の原生林
- Japanese Buyers Fueling Illegal Logging in Romania’s Last Ancient Forests
A new report by the Washington, D.C.-based organization the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) reveals that Japan’s largest trading companies are fueling illegal logging in Europe’s last great intact forests...
- Built on Lies: New Homes in Japan Destroy Old Forests in Europe
The indiscriminate sourcing practices of Japanese companies are fueling illegal logging in Europe's last remaining virgin forests. Since arriving in Romania in 2002...
- Japanese Firms Importing Illegal Russian Timber
- The Open Door: Japan’s Continuing Failure to Prevent Imports of Illegal Russian Timber
In recent years, Japan has been the subject of increasing scrutiny regarding timber imports from tropical forested countries, the legality of which has at times been questioned by environmental groups. However, Japan’s imports of timber...
- International environmental organizations call on Japan to stop buying illegal timber
A group of 16 environmental organizations are today calling on Japan to put in place stronger measures to stop the trade in illegal timber. Writing in an open letter to two Japanese trade...
- Trade in Illegal Wood Uncovered
Consumer demand for expensive rosewood furniture and musical instruments in China and elsewhere is the primary driver of an ecologically devastating trade in illegal timber, according to a report published today by the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) and...