U.S. Lacey Act
- On World Rhino Day, EIA Calls for an End to All Rhino Horn Trade
To protect rhinos, domestic rhino horn markets must be shut down and pro-trade arguments must be abandoned.
- Leaked EU-Japan Trade Agreement Would Increase Illegal Logging
Leaked documents from a trade agreement between the European Union and Japan show weak environmental standards.
- EIA: Perú debe garantizar la seguridad de ex funcionario forestal y su familia, y verificar el origen legal de exportaciones de madera
EIA: Perú debe garantizar la seguridad de ex funcionario forestal y su familia, y verificar el origen legal de exportaciones de madera
A partir de la publicación de hoy de un informe de investigación de Associated Press sobre el comercio de madera ilegal del Perú a los Estados Unidos, la Agencia de Investigación Ambiental (Environmental Investigation Agency – EIA) solicita al...
- EIA: Peru must guarantee safety of former forest inspector and his family, verify legal origin of timber exports
EIA: Peru must guarantee safety of former forest inspector and his family, verify legal origin of timber exports
Following an Associated Press investigation, EIA provides response to the continued illegal logging exposed in Peru
- Forest Liquidators & Timber Smugglers: The Full Story
EIA summarizes the federal case against Lumber Liquidators for violating the U.S. Lacey Act.
- Peru Announces Improved Measures to Stop Illegal Timber Trade
The Peruvian government committed to significantly improve measures to stop illegal logging and associated trade in its timber sector.
- Lumber Liquidators sentenced for smuggling illegal wood into the United States
Today, Virginia-based company Lumber Liquidators was sentenced to $13.2 million in fines and forfeitures for importing illegal wood and submitting false declarations under the Lacey Act, a conservation law that makes it a crime to import...
- Lumber Liquidators Admits Guilt in Smuggling Illegal Timber, Agrees to Clean Up Supply Chain
Today, legal representatives of Lumber Liquidators Inc. (LL) appeared in the Eastern District Court of Virginia to plead guilty to four misdemeanor counts for violations of the Lacey Act and one felony count of entry of goods by means of false statement...
- Lumber Liquidators Pleads Guilty to Smuggling Illegal Timber
Announced today, Lumber Liquidators, the largest hardwood flooring retailer in the United States, pleads guilty to violations of the Lacey Act among other charges, will pay more than $13 million in fines and penalties to the U.S. government...
- Lacey Act Protects Forests in the U.S. and Worldwide – But Only if Fully Enforced
On August 6, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) announced its first Lacey Act prosecution involving illegal logging in the United States. This is good news and sends a powerful message to the timber industry at home...