Campaign Focus Areas
- World Rhino Day 2020: No Time for Complacency
Today marks the 10 years since the first World Rhino Day celebration on September 22, 2010. The past decade has been fraught with challenges for the world’s rhinos, yet some progress has been made. If the next 10 years are to be better for rhinos than the past 10 years, we cannot afford to lose focus now.
- World’s Largest Ivory Seizure: Over Nine Tons of Ivory Seized in Vietnam
World’s Largest Ivory Seizure: Over Nine Tons of Ivory Seized in Vietnam
- On World Rhino Day, EIA Calls for an End to All Rhino Horn Trade
To protect rhinos, domestic rhino horn markets must be shut down and pro-trade arguments must be abandoned.
- Using Every Tool to Protect the World’s Wildlife: How the U.S. Pelly Amendment can help stop poaching
Using Every Tool to Protect the World’s Wildlife: How the U.S. Pelly Amendment can help stop poaching
EIA's brief overview of the Pelly Amendment and its uses and potential impacts.
- As Secretary Jewell Visits Vietnam and China, EIA Urges Action for Rhinos and Elephants
This week, U.S. Department of the Interior Secretary Sally Jewell travels to China and Vietnam, the world’s leading consumer markets for elephant ivory and rhino horn. Wildlife trafficking is high on the Secretary’s trip agenda, and indeed the U.S. agenda in general...
- Vietnam – Still Driving the Rhino Poaching Crisis
- Call for Trade Sanctions to Halt Vietnam’s Vast Illegal Rhino Horn Trade
Environmentalists are today calling for trade sanctions against Vietnam for its failure to take action against its massive illegal trade in rhino horn. The 177 nations currently Party to the...
- Vietnam’s Illegal Rhino Horn Trade: Undermining the Effectiveness of CITES
EIA released a new report, "Vietnam's Illegal Rhino Horn Trade," which describes how Vietnam has failed to meet its CITES obligations designed to protect rhinos. This briefing summarizes key points from a recently submitted Pelly Petition...
- Petition to Certify Vietnam as Diminishing the Effectiveness of CITES
EIA filed a petition on December 21, 2012 under the Pelly Amendment to the U.S. Fishermen’s Protective Act to certify Vietnam as diminishing the effectiveness of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species...
- Vietnamese Army Named As Timber Smuggler
A new report released today (July 28, 2011) exposes the pivotal role played by the Vietnamese military in a multi-million dollar operation which is smuggling threatened timber over the border from the shrinking forests of neighbouring Laos...