Archived Action Alert: Tell Yahoo! Japan to end elephant ivory sales
Hurray! Yahoo! Japan announced banning ivory sales in August 2019! Learn more here.
Archived Action Alert: Yahoo! Japan, through both its shopping and auctions sites, is a leading internet seller of elephant ivory products, many of which have an illegal origin. At a time when 30,000 elephants are being killed annually for their ivory, it’s time for Yahoo! Japan to be socially responsible and end its sales of elephant ivory. Google, Amazon, eBay and Alibaba have already ceased selling elephant ivory products on their sites and some nations are taking steps to close down their own markets.
Yahoo! Japan’s largest shareholder is SoftBank, with 43% of shares. Yahoo! Inc (U.S.) holds 35.5% of shares. Here are a few easy but important ways you can tell Yahoo! Japan, its majority shareholder, SoftBank, Yahoo! Inc., and key executive Masayoshi Son that selling ivory products made from dead elephants is not acceptable – sales should be stopped immediately.
Please circulate this action alert broadly – the more people who protest Yahoo! Japan’s ivory sales, the more likely the company is to respond in a positive and responsible way.
Thank you for your help and action!
Here are ways you can spread the word:
Share our campaign posters and message widely on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google + and beyond.
Send a Tweet:
If you are a Twitter user, send Tweets to the following key players, urging them to ban all sales of elephant ivory products on Yahoo! Japan:
- Yahoo! Japan: @Yahoo_JAPAN_PR
- SoftBank, Yahoo! Japan’s major shareholder: @SoftBank
- Masayoshi Son, Director of Yahoo! Japan and President/CEO of SoftBank: @masason
- Yahoo! Inc.: @YahooInc
- Yahoo!: @Yahoo
You can compose your own Tweet, or use the samples below. Don’t forget the hashtag #stopyahooivory!
- Please stop blood #ivory product sales on @Yahoo_JAPAN_PR! @masason @SoftBank @Yahoo #elephants #banivory #stopyahooivory* * Please stop @Yahoo_JAPAN_PR blood #elephant #ivory sales to protect #elephants! @SoftBank @Yahoo #stopyahooivory
- .@Yahoo_JAPAN_PR’s shareholder @softbank can stop the blood #ivory trade! @masason #stopyahooivory #yahoo
- Please @masason @SoftBank stop @Yahoo_JAPAN_PR #ivory sales to protect #elephants! #banivory #stopyahooivory #yahoo
- (same as last English text above) お願いします @masason @SoftBank 止めてください @Yahoo_JAPAN_PR #象牙の販売 #ゾウ #を守るために! #banivory #stopyahooivory #yahoo
Post on Facebook:
If you use Facebook, you can visit the pages below and post a message to protest Yahoo! Japan’s ivory sales. You could share our campaign poster and adapt the suggested Tweets, or compose a unique message of your own. If you’re unable to start a new thread or post, you can post as a comment on an existing one.
Sign this petition:
Avaaz launched a petition appealing to Yahoo! and Yahoo! Japan’s CEOs to stop ivory sales on all platforms. You can add your name to the list of nearly 1.5 million supporting this effort. Sign the petition here.
Take a stand:
Don’t support Yahoo or Yahoo! Japan by purchasing products from their sites – as a consumer, you hold the power!
For more information, please contact EIA at email@example.com.